Facilities Feature: Stephens Hall
Location: Intersection of University Avenue and
College Avenue; Northeast corner of the MU campus.
Year Completed: 1936
Gross Square Feet: 5,916
Departments: The building has recently undergone
extensive repairs and remodeling and is now a state-of-the-art,
dedicated molecular research laboratory housing Biochemistry’s
Membrane Research Group, which includes Gerald Hazelbauer, Chair
of Biochemistry and Lin Randall, the Wurdack Chair in Biochemisty.
A look back: Erected at a cost of $44,000 and
first named the Wildlife Conservation Building, this structure
housed the Wildlife Unit, one of the very first such university
units in the country. Under the leadership of Professor Rudolph
Bennitt, and with the crucial support and encouragement of local
businessman and sportsman E. Sydney Stephens (after whom the building
was renamed), the unit and building became, respectively, a major
focus and center of the nation’s conservation movement.