Red Campus Tour
of buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places
- Jesse Hall (1892)
Originally called the Academic Building, it was built
to replace Academic Hall that burned in 1892. It was renamed in 1922, honoring
former University President
Richard Jesse who, after the fire, oversaw reconstruction of the campus.
Jesse served from 1891 to 1908.
Houses the chancellor’s, vice chancellors’, provost’s and
vice provosts’ staffs; the Graduate School; Office of Research; admissions;
registrar’s office; financial aid; KBIA and the Concert Series, among
other administrative offices.
- Swallow Hall (1893)
The building is named for George Clinton Swallow, MU’s first professor
of geology, first dean of the College of Agriculture and first state geologist.
It originally held the geology and geography departments. The building today
houses the anthropology department and the Museum of Anthropology.
- The Residence
on Francis Quadrangle (1867)
The oldest building on campus.
Notable guests include: Mark Twain, Eleanor Roosevelt and Harry S. Truman.
A 1999 renovation restored three rooms on the first floor with Italianate-period
wallpapers, paints, carpeting, and furnishings.
It serves as a reception facility and also has office space for Chancellor
- Pickard Hall (1892)
Originally called the Chemical Building but was later renamed for Dr. John
Pickard, who founded the department of art history and archaeology.
Pickard today houses the Museum of Art and Archaeology and the department
of art history and archaeology.
- Sociology Building (1892)
The building, the second oldest classroom building on campus, was called
originally the “law building” or “law barn.” Law
classes met there for 34 years.
Houses Sociology and Rural Sociology faculty and staff.
- Walter Williams Hall (1936)
Named for the founder and first dean of the School of Journalism — the
world’s first such school. Williams served on the Board of Curators
and was chancellor from 1930 to 1935.
Houses the Journalism graduate program, the journalism library and advertising
faculty and staff.
- Neff Hall (1919)
Named for former Kansas City Mayor Jay H. Neff, who founded several agricultural
publications. His son, Ward, a Journalism School graduate, provided funds
for construction and was the first alumnus to finance a building on the MU
Houses journalism administrative offices, editorial offices and some journalism
faculty and staff.
- Switzler Hall (1872)
Originally called Scientific Hall, and named for Col. William Switzler, a
19th century Columbia newspaperman and member of the Board of Curators. Switzler
is the oldest academic building on campus.
Houses the communications and women’s studies departments, special
degrees and interdisciplinary programs.
- McAlester Hall (1902)
Named for Dr. Andrew W. McAlester, former dean of the School of Medicine.
McAlester Hall was built to provide much-needed lab space for the School
of Medicine. The Department of Psychological Sciences has been housed there
it moved out of the fourth floor of Jesse Hall. The departments of philosophy
and geography were housed there until 1970 and 1976, respectively.
Named for William L. Parker, of Columbia, who established an endowment that
supplemented the cost of the building. Originally named Parker Memorial Hospital,
was erected for the School of Medicine, organized in 1872 as a two-year program,
and transformed in 1957 into a four-year program. The Medical Center (University
Hospital and Clinics) was completed in 1955 and the school moved there.
Houses Counseling Services and Special Degree Program offices.
- Noyes Hall (1923)
Named for Guy Lincoln Noyes, former dean of the School of Medicine.
Noyes Hall was originally built and served as a hospital for the School of
Medicine when a facility larger than Parker became necessary. Anthropology,
Education & Counseling Psychology and the Career Planning Placement Center
today all have office space in Noyes Hall.
- Student Health Center (1936)
The Student Health Center was the last of the School of Medicine’s
buildings constructed on the Red Campus. It was originally built as a Student
Center and remains so today.
- Engineering Complex (1893)
Physics/Engineering and Mechanic Arts buildings only.
Historical Fact: Benjamin Franklin Thomas, using a dynamo given to MU by
Thomas Edison, made the first demonstration of incandescent lighting west
of the Mississippi
in this building.
Houses the College of Engineering Dean’s office, Engineering Library,
Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering,
- The Columns
Were originally part of Academic Hall, which burned in 1892.
- Townsend Hall (1936)
Originally known as the Education Building, or “lab school building” while
serving as an elementary and high school, it was later named for Loran Townsend,
dean of education from 1945 to 1963.
Houses Curriculum & Instruction, Special Education, and the School of
Information Science and Learning Technologies.
- Hill Hall (1951)
Named for A. Ross Hill who, from 1908 to 1921, served as university president.
Houses administrative offices for the College of Education, including the
departments of Educational & Counseling Psychology, Educational Leadership & Policy
Analysis and the Teacher Development Program.
- Conley House (1868)
The building at 602 Sanford Place is one of the oldest homes in the Columbia
area. Built by Sanford F. Conley, a dry goods merchant and a director of
Exchange National Bank, it today houses the General Education Program and
the Program for Excellence in Teaching offices.
- Tate Hall (1927)
Named in memory of Lee R. Tate, a 1913 graduate of the School of Law.
It served as the Law School from 1927 until 1988 when Hulston Hall was completed.
The English department and a branch of Ellis Library today are housed there.
Sanborn Field and Soil Erosion Plots (1888): Sanborn Field was initiated
in late 1888 by Dean J. W. Sanborn to demonstrate the value of crop rotations
in grain-crop production. The emphasis on the field started with and continues
to be on soil properties affected by alternative management schemes. It is
known nationally as containing the plot from which Aureomycin — used in chlortetracycline,
an early antibiotic — was produced.
Waters and Curtis halls were declared eligible for listing
on the National Register in 1999 but have not yet been added.
Back to Red Campus Tour